Monday, October 1, 2007

New Beginnings

The first day of this website launches less than a week before the opening of the highly anticipated Gateway Towne Center's Target. It's been a long time coming for residents of Compton who have lived through the many faces Compton has shown over the years. Comptonians have been anxiously awaiting the opening of our newest and best shopping center. To accompany Target, Best Buy, and Home Depot, there will be, Shoe Pavilion, Marshall's, 24 Hour Fitness, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, McDonald's, Jamba Juice, Panda Express, Staples, Daniel's Jewelers, Sally Beauty Supply, and possibly, T.G.I. Fridays. Although, T.G.I. Fridays has not been confirmed as a definite installment as of yet.

Compton has been longing for stores such as these for some time now. Before, residents of Compton would have to drive to local cities such as Lakewood, Long Beach, Carson, Downey, and others to satisfy such shopping needs.

Another great facet of the Gateway Towne Center is the hundreds of jobs it creates for the citizens of Compton. It's a known fact that people spend money near their jobs. Lunch time being a prime example. Also purchases such as gas and other spur of the moment purchases will add to the sales tax revenues the city receives. As long as we are able to keep this shopping center respectable, it will also bring more businesses to the city, as well as increase entrepreneurship.

I recommend that anyone who has time, come and support the grand opening of this new chapter in the city of Compton. Although this is a giant step forward, it is but a small indication of what Compton can achieve.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love what youv'e done by building this site. This, on top of the new gateway center, puts Compton in he same category commercially as cities like Long Beach. I am truly proud to be, in your words, a Comptonian. Keep up the good work. The site looks great.

chryshel said...

I came across this website accidentally, but am glad I found it. I'm glad someone else is interested in not tearing down Compton, and I'm so excited for the Gateway to be completed. Question...you mentioned TGI Friday's as a possible tenant, which would be great. What happened to Chili's? Would we get both restauants? I know the mixed-use plan was abandoned in favor of more commercial development...any plans for a book store? With proximity to both ECC at Compton and CSUDH, that would be a great move.

The Compton Conservative said...

I'm very glad you accidentally found it! According to the city's Planning Dept. neither have been confirmed. The employee told me that TGI Fridays would first have to be given the thumbs up by the city architects before the final ok could be given. Getting both restaurants would be great, although, I can't remember off hand if I've seen any Chili's and TGI Friday's in that close of proximity to each other. It may be whoever gets there first will be the restaurant staple of the Gateway Towne Center. The fact that we have a Chili's in Carson, and near the Lakewood Mall, I would rather see a TGI Fridays, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I will update you with any new information I come across.

chryshel said...

Thanks! I agree...I'd prefer a Friday's. Regarding Chili's, the proximity to Carson and Lakewood concerned me. Truthfully, we just need additional sit-down restaurants besides IHOP. I've thought of several chains that would be nice, but many of them are located in Carson, Lakewood, or Downey...I think we'd have more success for something that's not in the immediate area, but would be viable here in the city. Have you heard anything else about Marshall's coming? It's not included as a future tenant in recent articles.